Tuesday 23 September 2008

Sniff sniff sniff

5 days to go and sniff sniff sniff. I have a cold. Three months of training and I have a cold. It's not a major one, yet, but God Dammitt... I'm on the vitamin C, zinc, Echinacea, paracetamol and ibuprofen. Oh and multivitamins. And fish oil.

No more running now. I was going to do a few little joggettes, but better not risk it.

I hate the taper. It lasted three weeks for the BG and by the time that came along i just wanted to kiiiiill them all. This is only a week, less even after la santa, but grrrrr....

Time to reflect on the training. That'll help...

Long runs (13M+):

21M - 2:45 - easy run. very very easy, felt lovely and easy and could have easily gone on
20.5M - 2:32 easy paced, about 7:35 pace - great run
20.5M - 2:34 easy paced, about 7:35 pace - great run
18M - road and trail around Tattenhall - steady, hilly, good run
17M - +5M shortly afterwards - Sandstone Trail A
17M - boiling hot, 3:20 - with stops, Howgill fellrun
16M - Sedbergh Hills race - 2:56 of tough fellrunning
16M - road and riverside trail run, felt good
14M - terrible run along the Dee!
13M - Lancaster half - 1:23:04 (short? probably a 1:24/5 run)
13M - Club la Santa Half

That's 11 long runs. Listing them like that makes me feel better. For an already fit runner (I had just come off supporting some BGRs so I was doing OK), 12 weeks is a good build up period for the marathon, so I'm happier.

This marathon has seen more quality work, including regular track sessions. The long runs have been faster than for pervious marathons. There's every reason to expect a pb, cold notwithstanding. But somehow, I feel like beating 3:14:52 is a tough ask.

I think it's because I'm not up for it as much. I was really up for London. I was focussing on it. This time, I want to do well but it's not the same. This could go one of two ways. 1 - i stay relased, unfussed, run cool and calm and conserve energy - have plenty left towards the end and get a cracking time! 2 - When it starts to hurt and you need to dig in and really want it, I don't respond and just canter in with a so-so time.

I think the prospect of a pb and the determination i learned during the BGR will push me on. I hope the atmosphere at Berlin does too.

I'm going to stay positive, relaxed, focussed and go for it - after all, what's the wurst that can happen?!

PS Tune in head - Aqualung - Strange and Beautiful

No comments: