Sunday 14 September 2008

A dubious PB and trouble in the sun

Greetings from Club la Santa, Lanzarote!

I should be out in the sun, catching some rays and living it up! Why aren't I then? Well cos I'm an idiot and after 2 days of biking, swimming, running (and crazy golf!) the heat has really got to me. Sitting drinking water with a 140 bpm heart rate aint good. Sunstroke i think... :-(

The idea of this break was to put in a good final burst of training before coming home and tapering for 10 days pre Berlin. The first two days were great, lots of swimming in the Olympic pool, 2 fabulous bike rides through the volcano strewn wastes of Lanzarote and some efforts on the track. Even pilates found its way into my world and I loved it´- chilled me out and stretched bits i didn't know i had.

But today is a day off. A sports massage (this place really does have everything) and a stretch class and that's about it (apart from Crazy Golf, obviously). It just feels like all the training and stupid stresses of work and life are all catching up with me. Whatever happens at Berlin, I think I need to change and stop becoming so stressed. For now, it's time to reflect on the training and build some confidence.

And recently the omens have been good. 1:23:04 for a dubiously short half marathon at Lancaster is still a good return. I suspect it equated to a 1:25 run, which is good going on already tired legs.

Tomorrow i'm doing a duathlon (run, bike, run) and then a half marathon after that - a training run really as it's too hot to go for a time. Then a mini triathlon before coming home and I should be ready.

Here's hoping....

No comments: