Friday 19 September 2008

God loves a Tri-er

Back home and the taper starts here. It's going to have to, because, yes, I'm bloody injured.

I'll make Berlin, no worries there. The injury isn't some sinister tear or fundamenal problem that's pounced late on. This, or should I say they are a collection of bruises, grazes and cuts to my wrist, hip, shoulder and elbow which all combine to be a souvenir of my first triathlon at Club la Santa.

It was thw swim I was dreading, but that passed as an uneventful, if a little slow, 400 metres. The bike, which i'd done well on all week in the road trips and Duathlon, threw me off!! I was climbing hard and the chain slipped across about 2 gears at the back and the jolt was enough to kick me off. I was pushing hard and landed on my hip and elbow with a real thud.

A few Spanish motorists slowed down to have a look as I sat there, realised I wasn't local, and sped off!!! I was hurting, esp the hip. I got up after about 3 mins of shocked sulking and got back on the bike. Meanwhile, Alison was getting further away after kicking my ass in the swim.

The rest of the bike went well, and so did the run - a good training session, with a fast flourish at the end!



The week at La Santa was great. Four good bike sessions, duathlon, triathlon, a good steady half marathon, swimming and stretching.....all good. Just need to heal!

So the taper starts here. 9 days to go. 10 miles on Sunday, a few 5 mile runs and one short speed session and i'm there. In one week's time, it's off to Berlin!

Gute Reise!

No comments: