Monday 25 August 2008

w/c 18 August -- Hurty legs

I never never never never seem to learn

2 months of roadrunning was never going to equip me for a long, tough fellrace. Despite running well at Sedbergh, my legs were sore as hell for 4 days afterwards, putting paid to any chance of quality this week. I still got the mileage in, but the quality of my training has suffered because I indulged myself a fellrace. The lesson is that tough fellraces and tough roadrunning training do not mix. I knew this but find myself relearning it, which i'm not happy about.

I missed the Capenhurst 5k on Weds cos it just hurt to much, so I did an easy 9M instead. I couldn't run hard on Tuesday or Thursday as I usually do. OK I got some mileage in, but I'm not happy at missing out on the type of trsaining that's going to get me moving fast around that marathon course.

The good news is that the long run, this time on Friday because of weekend commitments, went very well. An easy paced 21 miles with no hint of difficulty whatsoever. I've done the 20 milers fairly quick, but decided to ease back on this one and get some time out. So I dawdled, took in the smells and sights of the Tattenhall countryside, through in some strides, jogged a bit at times and just ran free and easy and without any effort. 21 miles doesn;t sound like it should be easy but it was.

The next long run will be harder. I'm going to do 22M, with the last 8M at or close to goal pace (about 7 min/mile) and the first 14M at abour 7.30. That'll tell me something, as will the Lancaster Half the week after that. Sub 1:25 is the goal....

Monday - 3M - loops around Marford quarry. Very slow, very sore legs after Sedbergh
Tuesday - 7M - easy run with Dave S and Alison off road. Legs really sore, esp quads. The run felt better as I went along, but it was slow
Weds - 9M - Run from home to Marford quarry. 7 * 0.8M loops very slow and very wet around Marford. Legs still very sore. It's clear my legs aren't in fellrunning mode
Thurs - 9M - off road with the club, again slow, but with some faster efforts. Ran well towards the end on the road.
Fri - 21M - Ran more slowly this time - averaged 7.50 min/mile and ran really within myself. Felt like I could have gone more quickly and kept going at the end. all about time on my feet on the roads. Ran for 2:44 and it really did feel easy. Mile 21 felt like mile 1 - a really good sign.
Sat - rest
Sun - 4M - easy jog up north at A's folks.

Totals: 6 runs, 53 miles.

Tune in head - I am a Rock, Simon and Garfunkel. :)

No comments: