Sunday 17 August 2008

w/c 11 August - at last, some legache...

Before I started training for this marathon, I associated marathon training with having sore and tired legs every Monday. Funnily enough, I've not had that feeling this time around - well not until this week.

After the 20 mile road runs, I felt tired but not sore like I often did when training for the BGR. I put this down to being a bit stronger this time around generally, and also by virtue of the fact that I was mixing rest and training without too many junk miles.

So I lined up on the start line of the Sedbergh Hills race on Sunday feeling confident that I was in good shape with plenty of endurance, but slightly worried about the lack of climbing in my training (this race has 6000 feet of climbing in its 16 miles). I decided to do this race because I wanted to 'treat myself' to a long, classic fellrace during a campaign focussed on roadrunning.

It was wet, misty and windy; muddy underfoot in places and just plain tough. I ran 2 mins slower than last year when I had all the BGR climbing in my legs, and 5 mins slower than 2 years ago when i trained for this race specifically with climbing and a good taper. Weirdly tho, I think I ran just as well. I struggled with the climbing more than i would have liked and found the early stages tough but as the race went on and the ground improved, I got got quicker and quicker and finished strongly. It seems like the endurance and running speed is good, but the climbing is not surprisingly lacking.

It's Monday today and my legs bloody hurt. So do my arms and back. And body. Descending the stairs is a bit of a laugh. Still, it's strangely satisfying. It reminds me of the BGR training days: all sore legs and getting stronger by the week. Which begs the question:

Q: If this is the first time I've felt like this during this training programme, have I been training hard enough to really improve?

A: Yes, it's been smart training, with good mileage, good paced long runs, plenty of quality mileage and rest. This approach carries less risk of injury and a good build up for the last 6 weeks of training. I can pick it up now and put in a big 3/4 weeks and enjoy a good taper.

or

A: No, to improve significantly, which is the aim, I need to push harder than I ever have before. Right now, I'm going through the motions and am set to run a similar time to last time. I need to up the ante and pick it up.

Both are right, which means I've done OK so far but have 6 weeks to make it all count.

This week's training:

Monday - Rest, rest, rest
Tuesday - 8M, efforts on Maiden Castle and closed XC loop - really tough session
Weds - 5M track, 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, 1000m, 800m, 600m, 400m, 200m - all at 80 sec laps or quicker. Ran really well.
Thurs - 5M, took Trev's group, ran slowly with a couple of efforts in the middle
Fri - 7M, hilly route up to Llay, ran brisk pace 6.30 pace on the flat, 7.30 on the climb
Sat - 0 miles, planned to run, but got glued to the Olympics! Certain irony there - was not training cos I was watching people who trained instead of watching TV
Sun - Sedbergh Hills, 16M, 6000' ascent, 2:58. Happy to break 3hrs in those conditions but slower than last time despite strong last third.

Totals - 41M, 5 runs, 3 quality runs (inc 1 bloody tough fell race).

Song in head - Road to Nowhere, Talking Heads. Got me up that git of a climb on the Calf during the fell race. All good - better than bloody Toto.

No comments: